Hello my darlings,
Tomorrow YOU will have the opportunity to join the movement #givingtuesday! Did you even know about it? A movement that allows us to “help others through the gift of your time, donations, goods or your voice.” How wonderful is that?!
[got our kids together with some friends and we baked cookies for our local police department 12.2016]
#GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration.
Celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving (in the U.S.) and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season, when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving.
One of the best ways to get involved is in your own community. We’ve created a directory to help you find organizations, charities, events and more in your own community.
Even if you can not donate money or your time, you can help. Visit My Giving Story and if you know someone who is a giving person and deserves to be recognized, submit an essay or a video about them. Show the world how awesome they are and they can win up to $10,000 for their favorite non-profit organization. Or simply visit the page to vote for other wonderful, giving people and help them win the money and/ or share their stories!
What inspires me to give back?
I think growing up in a giving family and always watching my parents helping anyone they can set the tone for me. Even when they did not have much they would try to help in any way they could. But overall, I believe in the power of doing good. I have been lucky enough to have a great life and I want to give back. To share my time and blessings with others. It is not always much. Sometimes we give monetary donations to sick kids or causes we believe in. Other times we buy supplies for kids in need, we bake goodies for neighbors, friends and service men and women, we donate our time to Feed My Starving Children or simply pay for a strangers lunch. Anything helps. I want to show my kids that although we are constantly exposed to crazy people and events, that you can not live your life in fear. You have to live each day to the fullest and help people in need, if you can. You never know when you can find yourself on the other side and hope that someone will be there for you too!
Here are 10 small and simple ways you can give back on giving Tuesday:
10. Share the My Giving Story page with others. Help spread the word.
9. Promote or purchase from a small business. This can support a small family in ways you don’t even know.
8. Volunteer or donate to Feed My Starving Children or similar organizations/ food drives. By doing so, you are not only giving your time but helping kids all over the world.
7. Pay for someone’s coffee or lunch. Especially a man or a woman in uniform. There is nothing more satisfying than being able to make someone’s day. Even with something as small as this.
6. Make thank you cards for our service men and women. See A Million Thanks! This can be done from your cell phone. Simple as that. You can send a letter, grant a wish or sponsor a scholar.
5. Become a volunteer reader at a Children’s hospital. Call ahead and double check your local hospitals but they all appreciate and depend on volunteers so much!
4. Adopt a family for the holidays. Look for local groups that sponsor low income families and you can help by providing toys, gifts and/ or dinners. For families that struggle, this makes a huge difference.
3. Make cookies and deliver them to a fire or police station. We did this last year and everyone enjoyed it. Kids loved giving back and the police officers like to feel appreciated.
2. Spend a day with your grandparent or parent. Surprise them with a day just for them and you will make them feel so special. One at a time 😉 individual attention! If you do not have a grandparent or parent, you can always visit a senior center and make someone’s day.
1. This one is my daughters favorite. Volunteer at an animal shelter. There are so many animals that need loving homes but not everyone is able to adopt a pet. So they depend on little helpers. Show them some love on this #givingtuesday!
What inspires you to give back?