I grew up eating Eastern European Stuffed Peppers. It was one of my favorite childhood dishes. I didn’t particularly care for the peppers, but I loved the stuffing. I also loved the aroma the peppers provided but the texture and the taste – was not my thing.
Fast forward to adulthood and peppers are one of my favorite vegetables. But making that old school dish is not my favorite. Simply put: it’s too much work and I don’t know if you’ve noticed but I don’t like recipes that require a lot of work.
Here is my version of STUFFED PEPPERS – the easy way: unstuffed.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 6-8 mini peppers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 oz no salt tomato sauce
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of rice
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/2 cup of half & half
- Cayenne, to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat.
- Add ground beef and brown it for about 5-7 minutes.
- Roughly chop your onions and add it with your peeled garlic to the food processor. Transfer to a bowl. See pics. Saves me a lot of time.
- Next, wash your peppers, cut off the tops, chop in two pieces and add those to the food processor. Chop those up the same way as the onions and the garlic. Transfer them to the same bowl as well. See pics.
- When the beef is browned, add peppers, onions, and garlic mixture. Saute until they begin to become translucent.
- Add in the rice and combine.
- Now add the spices.
- Mix well and add the tomato sauce and 1 cup of water. Stir to combine and lower to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir every 5 minutes or so to avoid burning but also to make sure all of the rice is coated and cooks evenly. If it seems too dry, add 1/4 cup of water and stir again.
- Just before it’s finished, last 5 minutes, add 1/2 cup of half & half. It gives it a nice rich flavor and mouth feel.
- Serve with garlic toast & enjoy.
- OPTIONAL: Top it with feta or shredded cheese.
Side note (note sponsored): I have been a Ninja costumer for almost 10 years. I have their food processors, coffee maker, smoothie maker and more. They have the best costumer service but honestly their products are fantastic. This is the chopper and food processor I use for all of my cooking, sauce making, smoothies, etc. It cuts my prep work in half and I would recommend it 1000 times over.
But if you just want to get the chopper, here it is. Click on either of the pictures to purchase. Thank you!
Leave a Reply