Every couple of weeks, I go through my fridge and pantry and do a thorough “clean up.” But not your typical “throw in the trash and rearrange” clean up. This is more of a, let’s see what is about to go bad, expire and needs to be used up immediately, kind of clean up.
Which usually ends up in a soup or a stew.
Today is no exception. I rummaged through the kitchen, cleaned the fridge and ended up with cabbage soup. All from scratch and it’s amazing.
Here you go:
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Half a head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 pepper, chopped (any color)
- 2-3 celery stalks (whatever you have)
- 3 green onions (you can skip if you don’t have it)
- 1 medium onion, diced (prefer yellow but use what you have)
- 1 large potato, chopped (you can use sweet potatoes too)
- 1 large carrot or a handful of baby carrots, sliced or chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced or roughly chopped (your preference)
- 1 can of beans, I used cannellini
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 1/2 tbsp of pepper
- 1 tbsp of smoked or Hungarian paprika
- 5 cups of water or veg stock
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat and add your onions.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of salt and pepper.
- Cook until the onions are lightly browned.
- Mix in garlic, carrots, celery, green onions, pepper and potatoes.
- Let it all soften up and brown up. You want those bits for flavor.
- Add the rest of your salt, smoked paprika and cayenne if you choose to do so.
- Add your water/ stock. Slowly.
- Season with salt, pepper, and paprika. Add cayenne for a kick and to boost your metabolism: optional.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and cook at least 45 minutes. You want the vegetables to be completely tender.
- Add a can of your favorite beans. Make sure to fully rinse them first.
- Finish cooking for another 15 minutes.
Serve and enjoy.
- You can substitute the veggies for your favorites. Just leave the cabbage. 🙂
- If you like other spices, feel free to add them too. Curry powder or turmeric is great in here.
- You can also add sliced smoked sausage for more texture and flavor.
Let me know what you think.
BENEFITS OF CABBAGE
- Improve digestion
- Weight loss
- Lower cholesterol
- Immune booster
- Cancer fighter
- Reduces inflammation
- Improves brain health
- Reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke
- Heals ulcers
- Clears skin
- Energy booster
- Hangover cure
- Eases headaches