It’s been a minute since I’ve shared anything on the blog. But with kids at home on summer break, time gets away from me. Can you relate?
However, I am back and with one heck of a recipe too.
Fair warning though, it’s probably the best side dish you will make going forward. And it’s done in 10 minutes. BOOM!
Let me show you.
ELOTE: what is that?
If you are like me, you have probably seen Elote on cooking shows or restaurant menus. But have you ever tried it?
I sure did not.
That is, until recently.
The word “elote” means “corn cob” in Spanish. But the Mexican Elote is actually grilled corn on the cob drenched in a mayo cream sauce, then decorated in spices and whole lot of goodness. Also known as Mexican Street Corn and this is what it typically looks like:
But, I have to admit, I am yet to try an authentic Mexican Street Corn and until I do I can not say, with 100% certainty, that this recipe is the real deal. But to me, based on research and some local taste testing, this is pretty close. Also, I think the cob gets super messy so making it in a bowl, while not traditional or authentic, is still muy delicioso!
So let’s make it and you be the judge.
- 1 bag of Trader Joe’s frozen Roasted Corn
- 2 tablespoons of TJ’s sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of TJ’s Mayo
- 1/2 cup of TJ’s cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1-2 teaspoons of TJ’s Chili Lime seasoning
- Juice of 1/2 of lime
- 1 tablespoon of hot sauce of your choice*
- optional: cilantro
*I used Valentina hot sauce but you can skip it or use any TJ’s hot sauce you like
- On the stovetop and in a pan, add 1 tablespoon of butter and add the roasted corn too.
- Let that cook on high for about 3-5 minutes.
- While that is cooking through, crumble up your cotija cheese into a small bowl.
- Add your mayo, sour cream to the cheese.
- Turn off the corn and add the juice of half of lime, mix.
- Add your mayo, sour cream and cheese mix as well as your seasonings and hot sauce.
- Mix everything together and garnish with cilantro if you wish.
- Serve and enjoy.
So, what do you think? Will you try it?
The ingredients are simple but when it all comes together the flavor explodes in your mouth. I absolutely love it.
Until next time, make something good and check out my other Trader Joe’s recipes here.