Top of the morning to ya!
Today we are all about granola. Homemade that is. If you have never made this at home, you are missing out. The aromas alone are worth the 20 min prep and bake. Once you make it at home, you will never buy it again.
Trust me when I tell you that it is sooooo easy to make!
I have my kids do all of the measuring and mixing. Plus I love knowing exactly what I am eating and controlling how it will taste. It is that flexible. You can change it up and add or remove things as you like. Sometimes I add brown sugar, sometimes vanilla, other times I skip the raisins or chocolate chips and so forth. It is really up to you and your family.
My daughter and I prefer eating granola on its own as a snack but my husband prefers it in a parfait. But some days, I eat it in a bowl of milk. #yum. My son on the other hand, he is not a fan! Can’t please them all 😉
Why granola? – Granola is a perfect source for complex carbs with no refined sugars. The nuts add your healthy fats that keep you feeling fuller for longer. The raisins help your digestive health and they are a full of vitamin C, B6, vitamin K as well as manganese, copper, potassium. It’s a perfect breakfast combo.
2.5 cups rolled or quick oats
1 cup raw almonds, sliced or chopped
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup raw honey
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsps. brown sugar
1/2 cup of chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all [not chocolate chips] ingredients together in a bowl.
- Line a baking sheet and spread the mixture evenly.
- Toast in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
[should be very aromatic]
- Turn the oven OFF and leave it in for another 5 minutes to allow the granola to finish toasting without burning. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Add chocolate chips when it is no longer hot. Otherwise they will melt.
You can eat it immediately or put in mason jars and use as needed. I dare you not to munch on those clusters as you pack 😉 I prefer it without the chocolate chips but Alen and Adriana love that little surprise of chocolate.
I would love to hear or see your versions. Comment below or tag me on your INSTAGRAM posts. Happy baking.