Just like cinnamon rolls but better. 🙂
This blog post is sponsored by MomsMeet.com but all opinions are my own.
A little back story: I fell in love with pesto about 20 years ago. My best friend took me to a restaurant in Chicago that made fresh pasta and the first dish I tried was their Grilled Chicken and Pesto Farfalle. Since then, I’ve tried to recreate that recipe numerous times and the pesto is never the same. But, recently I came across Barilla Creamy Genovese Pesto and I have to say, its pretty darn close.
While there are countless of ways to use pesto in recipes and grilled chicken and pesto farfalle being one of the top ones; today, I will show you a recipe that isn’t so common. Pesto Dinner Rolls featuring Barilla Creamy Genovese Pesto.
Let’s do it.
- 1 jar of Barilla Creamy Genovese Pesto
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella/ provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
- black pepper
- 1 cup warm whole milk
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp. melted butter, unsalted
- 4 cups of ap flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- In a microwave safe bowl, warm a cup of whole milk.
- In a separate bowl melt the butter.
- To the milk, add your yeast, sugar and butter and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl or stand mixer, add your flour and salt. Mix to distribute.
- Whisk your eggs and add to the flour along with the milk mixture.
- Knead by hand or with mixer until it all comes together and no longer sticking to the bowl. About 5-7 minutes.
- Spray the dough and the bowl with baking spray or olive oil and cover for 1 hour. Let it rise.
- After the hour, flour your working surface/ counter and transfer your dough to the counter.
- With a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a rectangular shape as best as you can and as thin as .25 inches.
- Take your Barilla Creamy Genovese Pesto and spread it evenly all over the dough.
- Now sprinkle the mozzarella and provolone all over the pesto.
- Finish off with the parmesan cheese on top of that.
- Starting from the long end, roll the dough into a log. Slowly and tight.
- Once finished, start by cutting it in the middle. From there you can cut a piece about 1 inch thick in each direction. Until the end of the log.
- Line them up on a baking sheet about an inch apart. Cover and let them rest for another 30-40 minutes. You want them to rise enough that they are almost touching.
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Right before you are ready to bake, sprinkle each one with a tiny bit of parmesan and a crack of black pepper.
- Bake on the center rack for about 30 minutes or until golden on top.
Tip #1: If you want a more cheesier center, add another cup of mozzarella cheese.
Tip #2: If you want to make more but bite size pieces, roll out your though extra thin and cut thinner pieces. You may need more filling ingredients, a bigger pan and less baking time.
Why is this pesto different then others?
It has simple ingredients and it’s imported directly from Parma, Italy = 100% Italian Basil. Includes chopped garlic, and freshly grated Italian cheeses. Which gives it a super smooth texture but without any cream. Very versatile and can be used in pasta dishes, on sandwiches, in salads, appetizers and more. It’s a small jar but a little bit goes a long way. The flavor is BIG! #BarillaUS #BarillaPesto #CreamyGeneovese
Where to purchase?
Barilla Creamy Genovese Pesto is available at Target (SuperTarget), Publix, Stop & Shop (Super Stop & Shop), Meijer, ShopRite, Hy-Vee, Albertsons, Safeway, Vons and more. To find a store near you, visit momsmeet.link/barillalocate.
Until next time, keep baking.