Did you know that next week is National Pastry Day?
Well, me neither hahaha. But I had to make something for this delicious occasion and Cream Puffs came to mind.
It’s been sooooo long since I made this and I honestly had to look up the recipe myself. But the nice thing is that it’s fairly the same no matter which recipe you use. The main thing is to stick to the recipe and don’t open the oven while it’s baking.
Let’s make it.
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 4 tbsps. of sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup of water
- 1.25 cups of flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- piping bag with medium size tip
- baking sheet
- 1 box of instant French vanilla pudding + 1 cup of cold milk*
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream + 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 325F.
- Over medium heat, melt your butter.
- Add the sugar and salt. Mix to combine.
- Add the cup of water and mix well to warm it all up together.
- Slowly add your flour and with a wooden spoon or spatula, combine.
- Remove from heat and let it cool slightly. 5 minutes before you add the eggs. You don’t want to scramble your eggs.
- Add one egg at a time and mix until smooth.
- Prepare your piping bag with a medium tip. Fill it with the pasty dough and slowly, in circular motion, make a little puff. This amount can make anywhere between 20-24 puffs.
- Bake at 325F for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Make your favorite instant vanilla pudding and set aside. *the box calls for 2 cups of milk but you want the filling to be nice and thick, so we will use only 1 cup of milk.
- Combine the powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Combine the two and when your puffs are completely cooled, fill each one with about a tablespoon. Sift some powdered sugar on top and enjoy.
- TIP: my preferred puff has more whipped cream than pudding but that is totally up to you 🙂